Whangarei Art Museum is the city’s municipal art gallery and is a growing and vibrant organisation focused on telling relevant stories through exhibitions, public talks and education programmes to our local Whangarei community and visitors to the region.
An opportunity exists for a highly motivated and enthusiastic Collection Manager of fine art collections to join the Whangarei Art Museum. The position is varied and the team is small therefore the applicant will require enthusiasm and flexibility. The successful applicant will be responsible for managing the care of the collection, contributing to collection documentation and knowledge, preparing objects for exhibition, developing incoming and outgoing loan documentation, and providing collection access (as required) for the Whangarei Art Museum and Whangarei District Council Collections held at Whangarei Art Museum. This position reports to the Director.
The position is a permanent part – time role (32 hours per week).
To be successful in this role you will have:
- A minimum of three years relevant museum or art gallery experience either as a curator or a collections manager
- Knowledge and experience of managing museum registration procedures including acquisition and accessioning processes, deaccessions, inventory, and loans
- Extensive knowledge and experience of requirements for the safe handling, packing, conservation, display and storage of museum objects to current museum standards
- Solid Vernon database experience and strong general computer literacy
- A highly professional manner with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Flexibility and a highly adaptive work approach
- The ability to work under pressure coupled with strong multi-tasking skills
- A strong positive attitude with a focus on solutions
- Good attention to detail and highly organised work practices
- Desire to help build and maintain an enjoyable and highly productive work environment
- Understand the principles of equal opportunities, diversity management and the Treaty of Waitangi as they relate to the Museum environment
To apply please submit a current resume and cover letter.
Applications to be submitted via email to email@example.com or post applications to: Whangarei Art Museum, PO BOX 1024, Whangarei, 0140.
Applications close 4pm Monday 18th July 2016.
For a detailed job description please contact:
Ruth Green-Cole, Director, Whangarei Art Museum Te Manawa Toi
You must be eligible to work in NZ to apply for this position.