The Whangārei Art Museum Trust is leading the development of an exciting new art precinct, set to become a unique cultural destination for global visitors. Located in Whangārei City, the gateway to the sub-tropical north – the precinct is currently under construction and features the iconic Hundertwasser Art Centre, Wairau Māori Art Gallery and Whangārei Art Museum. The aim is to bring prosperity to the region and to transform people’s lives through the power of art and nature.
We are currently hiring for the position of:
The Marketing Manager will manage promotion of the Whangārei Art Museum Trust and its subsidiary institutions’ programs, activities, exhibitions, and facilities to local, national, and international media. They will lead a small two-person team to favourably position the Trust’s various brands and programs and will cultivate audience and visitor growth in support of the trust’s broader mission and goals.
- Design, build and manage marketing and public relations strategies for the Whangārei Art Museum Trust, Whangārei Art Museum, Hundertwasser Art Centre and Wairau Māori Art Gallery.
- Secure local, regional, national, and international media coverage of the precinct’s exhibitions, collections, public programs, fundraising activities, and other initiatives.
- In consultation with subject experts, oversee and manage the production and approval of all marketing collateral, both printed and digital.
- Lead a two-person in-house marketing team and work with external contractors, such as photographers, designers, PR consultants, advertising representatives etc.
- Work with tourism and hospitality partners to promote the museum as a cultural destination.
- Assist with developing cross-promotional partnerships and collaborations with key arts and business organisations.
- Source, create and negotiate sponsorship arrangements with local businesses for workshops, events and other programmes.
- Assist with brand enforcement, ensuring consistency of design and messaging for all marketing campaigns and communications.
- Schedule, create and implement social media content.
- Develop surveys and survey tools to monitor and inform visitor experience strategies.
- Assist with arrangements for the opening event of the Hundertwasser Art Centre and Wairau Māori Art Gallery.
- Must have three to five years experience in a related field.
- Qualifications in art history, public relations, marketing or communications preferred.
- Creative, with an aesthetic eye and an appreciation of good design. Practical design experience would be advantageous.
- Must have experience in planning and conducting marketing and communications campaigns. (Knowledge of non-profit branding initiatives preferred.)
- Prior experience working in museums or in arts marketing preferred.
- Must have excellent, demonstrated written, oral, interpersonal, and communication skills (including editing ability).
- Analytical skills and the ability to organize and scrutinize data, interpret metrics and make data-driven decisions.
Knowledge of arts and culture press is important. Non-profit experience, particularly with an art museum, is preferred as is knowledge of local and national arts and audience trends.
Should have an ability to work flexibly and collaboratively. Must be able to perform effectively in a fast-paced environment with a high level of creativity and self-direction.