This exhibition was inspired by the work of Freda Simmons following the generous gift of the Chris Simmonds family to the Whangārei Art Museum.
Freda Simmonds began her artistic career after moving to Kaitaia in 1946. She saw painting as a form of communication, believing that “paintings should speak for themselves.”
“The Group” was an informal association of artists who contributed greatly to the development of New Zealand art in the 20th century by providing artists with the opportunity and encouragement to experiment.
Freda Simmonds exhibited widely and regularly throughout New Zealand and was a founding member of the Northland Society of Arts. A guest exhibitor of The Group in 1955 and 1957, Freda Simmonds became a permanent member of the group in 1963 and exhibited regularly with them until 1977.